Social Determinants of Health
and Kidney Disease: Driving
Value for Patients and Payors
The correlation between social determinants of health and kidney disease
There is a well-established link between social determinants of health and kidney disease. With decades of research confirming a correlation between social determinants of health (SDoH) and kidney disease, the need to address SDoH as part of a value-based kidney care strategy is well recognized.
This white paper includes key statistics related to SDoH and kidney disease, reasons why it is difficult to determine which socioeconomic interventions have the greatest impact on this population, and recommendations based on lessons learned, including:
- Incorporating socioeconomic data into risk stratification
- Deploying enrollment and engagement strategies that meet people where they are
- Designing a care model—and supporting care team—focused on building trust
- Adopting a flexible definition of "convenient care"
- Understanding that a referral alone is not sufficient